Tinnitus Treatment Tullamore Offaly
Are you experiencing a constant ringing, buzzing, or hissing sound in your ears? If so, There’s a strong possibility that you may be suffering from tinnitus, a condition that affects millions of people around the globe. At HearMed Acoustic Healthcare, our audiologists understand the negative impact that tinnitus can have on your daily life. We offer effective tinnitus treatment options in our Tullamore Offaly located practice to help alleviate tinnitus levels. But first, let’s delve into explaining what tinnitus is and its causes.
What is Tinnitus?
Tinnitus is the perception of sound in the absence of an external source. It is commonly described as ringing in the ears. Tinnitus can manifest as ringing, buzzing, humming, clicking, or hissing sounds. It can be experienced in one or both ears and can vary in intensity and frequency. It’s not a condition itself but rather a symptom of an underlying issue affecting the auditory system. Understanding the causes of tinnitus is crucial to finding an effective treatment approach.
Typical Causes of Tinnitus
Tinnitus can be caused by various factors, including:
- Exposure to Noise: Prolonged exposure to loud noises, such as industrial machinery, concerts, or an explosion, can damage the delicate structures of the inner ear and lead to tinnitus.
- Age-Related Hearing Loss: As we age, the sensory cells in the inner ear naturally deteriorate, resulting in age-related hearing loss as well as potential tinnitus.
- Ear Wax Build-Up: Excessive deposits of earwax can accumulate in the ear canal, causing blockages and affecting the transmission of sound. This can result in tinnitus symptoms.
- Medical Conditions: Some medical conditions, such as Meniere’s disease, otosclerosis, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, and vascular conditions, can contribute to the development of tinnitus.
- Stress and Anxiety: Psychological factors, such as stress, anxiety, and depression, can exacerbate tinnitus symptoms, making them more noticeable and bothersome to the sufferer.
Our Tinnitus Treatment Services
It is important to identify the underlying cause of tinnitus to determine the most appropriate treatment approach.
At HearMed Acoustic Healthcare, our Tullamore based audiologists specialise in the treatment of tinnitus. We offer a range of solutions to help reduce tinnitus levels in order to improve your overall life quality. Our comprehensive tinnitus alleviation treatments include:
- Counselling and Education: Our audiologists provide counselling and education to help you understand and manage your tinnitus. We offer guidance on possible lifestyle changes, stress reduction techniques, and relaxation exercises to help reduce the impact of tinnitus on your well-being.
- Sound Therapy: Sound therapy is used to provide relief from tinnitus by introducing external sounds to distract from the internal tinnitus sounds experienced by the sufferer. We do this using devices like sound generators or hearing aids with built-in sound masking features. Our audiologists will work closely with you to determine the most suitable sound therapy option for your needs.
- Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT): TRT combines counselling with sound therapy to help retrain your brain’s response to tinnitus. This therapy aims to reduce the emotional distress associated with tinnitus and promote habituation, allowing you to tune yourself out the tinnitus sounds more effectively over time.
- Customised Hearing Aids: For individuals with tinnitus caused by hearing loss, hearing aids can be a valuable tool in managing both. Our audiologists will assess your hearing needs and recommend customised hearing aids with tinnitus-specific features to provide amplification and sound enrichment to achieve tinnitus relief.
- Stress Management Techniques: Stress can amplify your tinnitus symptoms. We offer stress management techniques and coping strategies to help you better manage your stress and reduce the impact it is having on your tinnitus perception.
Our audiologists provide specialised tinnitus treatment options and are dedicated to helping you achieve notable reductions in your tinnitus levels. We work closely with you to develop a customised treatment plan to suit your unique needs.
If you have any questions or wish to arrange an appointment, simply complete the contact form below. Alternatively you call us on 057 934 9388